Tuesday, March 7

Jar Jardinho



I had a great afternoon at Lucky Bar, near my office, which is always packed for Champions League football. The featured match in the area of the bar in which my friends and I were sitting was the second leg of the Chelsea - Barcelona tie, which was being broadcast in Spanish (it was being shown in English in another part of the bar). This had surprisingly little effect on my enjoyment of the game, with one exception: the Spanish commentators kept referring to Ronaldinho as Jar Jar Binks. Despite his undeniable brilliance, Ronaldinho has long been one of the ugliest men in world sport, and the Jar Jar Binks comparison is dead on, but now that I have the comparison in my head, I can't watch him without thinking of Jar Jar. Thank you very much ESPN Deportes.